In October, I returned to Arazane, Morocco for the annual contribution that KENZA International Beauty makes to the Tirizite women cooperative that produces the KENZA Pure Argan oil. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMwtGwkFLRc
Upon arrival, I found out the coop had run out of Argan nuts and unable to produce Argan oil for the last two weeks, that the price of Argan nuts had doubled because of a recent drought, and that the coop had an outstanding bill from its last purchase of Argan nuts during the summer. Although the supplier had delivered the previous Argan nuts order on credit, he now needed to be paid in full before delivering any more Argan nuts.
This is when I decided that paying the coop outstanding debt and the cost of the new Argan nut order was a better way for my social enterprise to help the women cooperative rather than just distributing cash to them. This way, the coop was able to purchase 4,464 lbs. of Argan nuts that the women will use to produce about 18 gallons of pure Argan oil (both the edible and the cosmetic kind) and be debt free.
I was also pleasantly surprised by a few other developments at the coop:
– A very nice playground was built for the children community of Arazane on the coop grounds by “1040i for Humanity”, an American non-profit organization from Oklahoma. This playground is a wonderful facility for the local community as it is rare to see playing areas designated for children in Morocco.(Read more here)
– The women coop has a new building with reception area, shop, office, production lab, classroom, and a working room where the women crack the Argan nuts.
– The women coop has expanded its product line to include whole wheat and semolina couscous, exfoliating masks made out of Argan kernels, black soap with orange blossoms essential oil, and other beauty products.
Something that is in great need at the coop is an on-site day care for the pre-school children of the coop women. The daycare would allow these children to play, learn, and socialize with other kids instead of spending their day watching their moms crack the Argan nuts. I will focus on this project next with the help of all my “beautiful friends”.
An analysis of the data generated by the Kauffman Foundation’s Firm Survey (one of the longest and largest studies ever of privately owned startups) shows that KENZA International Beauty has several of the key factors for thriving over the next three years (we just had our second anniversary in September).
However, as shown by the study, having a higher level of capital would greatly improve the chances for growing into our fifth year. This is where you can help tilt the odds in our favor by voting for us.
This year we are participating in the $150,000 CHASE Mission Main Street Grant for small businesses and we need 250 votes to qualify. You can vote for KENZA International Beauty at this link: http://shar.es/1axhM5
The CHASE grant would help us bring our business to the next level. It would allow us to introduce new beauty products, invest in marketing, upgrade and optimize our website, develop our wholesale business, and perhaps even hire staff. In the end, the grant would help us generate more sales and, consequently, our support for women.
The INC. magazine charts summarize the effect of various factors (gender, age, race, amount of startup capital, and intellectual property) on company outcomes: survival, closure, or merge/acquisition after five years.
Some of the results:
-Companies with the highest level of startup capital (more than $100,000) had the highest chance for survival (about 64%).
– While the sample group had three times as many companies founded by men as by women, there was no statistical difference between male- and female-led companies outcome (about 58% were in business after five years while another 5% had merged with other companies)
– The highest five-year survival rate (about 60%) was for companies founded by people in their 40s (as myself)
– intellectual property had no significant effect on company outcome
It all about Argan oil lately. The name is becoming so familiar in the beauty market all over the world and yet shoppers can be confused. Honestly I was too few years ago, even if I been around this liquid gold for over three decades. As a Moroccan myself, it was a difficult task to get authentic, pure Argan oil even in Morocco. So my advise to you is to read as much as you can, look for products that are pure with International certification that are trustable.
Do you really know what is Argan oil or Moroccan oil? What is the difference between cold pressed and hand pressed? Why the prices range from $15 to over $70 for a 2oz bottle? What are the real benefits of using 100% pure Argan oil that is USDA organic and ISO certified for quality?
What is Argan Oil or Moroccan oil?
Argan oil, one of the oldest beauty treasures from Morocco, is a multi-purpose natural beauty care product that will enhance your beauty life. This natural wonder oil, used by Moroccan women for centuries, is derived from the fruit of the Argan (Argania Spinosa) tree in the Southwest of Morocco. The Argan tree can live up to 200 years in a dry arid region and produces an oval-shape green and yellow fruit. A single tree yields 8-13 lbs. of Argan fruit per harvest while each fruit contains 2-3 kernels. Almost 7 lbs. of kernel are required to produce about 34 fl.oz. of Pure Argan Oil.
The production of Argan oil is a labor intensive process that involves manual handling by Moroccan women at cooperatives. After the nuts are collected, they are cracked open by hand with a stone to obtain the kernels which are then machine cold pressed to extract the precious Argan oil. It takes up to 20 hours to produce about 34 fl.oz of Argan Oil.
Composition & Benefits
Argan oil contains approximately twice as much Tocopherols (Vitamin E) than Olive Oil*.
“Tocopherols are molecules with strong anti-oxidant and free radical scavenging properties. gamma-Tocopherols, the most efficient free radical scavenger of all tocopherols, composes 69 percent of argan oil total tocopherols content”**
Its high level of essential fatty acids – Oleic (Omega 9) and Linoleic (Omega 6) – associated to powerful antioxidants (such as Tocopherols and Polyphenols) makes this natural beauty oil an essential element for moisturizing, treating, nourishing, conditioning, and protecting your skin, hair, cuticles, and nails.
>KENZA Pure Argan Oil is a potent non-greasy treatment that is easily absorbed by the skin. Among its many natural benefits,
KENZA Pure Argan Oil:
* conditions the skin hydro lipid layer and locks in moisture
* improves skin elasticity
* treats scars, stretch marks, minor bugs bites, and rashes
*helps to heal acne and blemishes
*softens and strengthens nails and cuticles
*nourishes and conditions hair and prevents split ends
*(Source: Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 2011; 113: 403-408)
** Guillaume, D. & Charrouf, Z. (2011). Argan Oil. Alternative Medicine Review http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/16/3/275.pdf
***Source: Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmacology 2010; 62: 1669-1975 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2042-7158.2010.01190.x/full
KENZA Pure Argan oil by KENZA International Beauty is USDA Organic*, ISO9001 certified for Quality and FDA verified for authenticity.
Our Argan oil is cold pressed to preserve the antioxidants and fatty acids in the beauty oil. We proudly offer the highest quality Moroccan oil at an unbeatable value and support social change for womenat a global level.
KENZA International Beauty Introduces 100% Pure Moroccan Beauty Oils
You Can Be Beautiful. Or You Can Be Generously Beautiful.
New York, NY, February 3rd, 2014 – KENZA International Beauty, a corporate social enterprise had successfully launched a pure Moroccan beauty oils product line: KENZA “be generously beautiful”™
• Within its first year, KENZA International Beauty cultivated a loyal international following from the US to Australia, garnering raves from beauty editors, makeup artists, and bloggers.
• KENZA means treasure in Arabic while “be generously beautiful”™ refers to the introduction of a philanthropic element in the purchase of beauty care products.
• KENZA International Beauty harnesses the power of two treasured certified organic Moroccan oils known for centuries to carry beautifying properties.
o While prized Argan oil has gained popularity in the beauty market recently; KENZA International Beauty introduced the highly sought and precious Prickly Pear Seed oil, with the highest levels of antioxidants (vitamin E) and essential fatty acids (Linoleic Acid or Omega 6).
• With excellent price points ranging from $12 to $77 (excluding special offers/sets):
o KENZA “be generously beautiful” ™ luxurious skin and hair beauty oils line is priced to be affordable, so everybody can experience pure beauty without sacrificing on quality.
• KENZA International Beauty aims to achieve real beauty with a streamlined product range while supporting women social causes.
The Exception. Not the Rule.
• Consciously created & certified for purity. KENZA International Beauty scoured the market to select the purest oils from trusted sources—and has the certification to prove it
o Certified USDA Organic – Registered with the FDA – ISO9001 certified for quality
o Sustainably sourced and produced by women’s cooperatives in Morocco
o Chemical & Cruelty-free
• KENZA “be generously beautiful”™: KENZA International Beauty uses its collective buying power to support social change for women by partnering with two women’s foundations in the US, as well as directly supporting a women’s cooperative in Morocco.
Visible Results. Simple Formulas.
KENZA International Beauty’s superior skin and hair care range incorporates only the purest ingredients without the use of parabens, mineral oils, silicones, alcohol, colorants, or animal ingredients. Never tested on animals.
Versatile Argan oil and Prickly Pear Seed Oil are enjoyed by women for their head to toe beauty care and by well-groomed men.
Formulas are results-driven with client feedback including improvement in skin tone, increased skin elasticity, diminished age spots, and nourished skin, hair, and nails.
KENZA International Beauty – A generously beautiful mission since December 2012
Contact: Khadija Fajry, Founder & CEO – KENZA International Beauty LLC
46-28 Vernon Blvd, Suite 403, New York, NY 11101 Cell:1-646-249-7769
KENZA “be generously beautiful”™ Skin & Hair line for retail and wholesale distribution:
-Telemundo: KENZA International Beauty on Telemundo* Mujer de hoy: Beneficios del aceite de Argon
-The Daily Dish: KENZA Pure Argan oil & KENZA Pure Hair Treatment oil: ABC4 Utah – the Daily Dish
Media & Beauty experts Recognition:
– Dr. Frank Lipman on Pinterest: “Be Well Products We Love”
– Sophie Uliano, New York Times bestselling author, healthy living advocate and Beauty Insider on OpenSky, loved KENZA Pure Platinum package, KENZA Pure Argan Oil and KENZA Pure SPA Bar.
– Kim West, Beauty World News: “The Benefits of Facial Oils: Yes, They’re Good for Your Skin”
– Celebrity Makeup Artist Nicole Bryl Make-Up New York:
Incorporates “KENZA Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil” into her makeup kit when she’s getting her clients Red Carpet Ready!
KENZA Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil & KENZA Pure Hair Treatment oil have made the list of beauty products Nicole Bryl can’t live without. “Celebrity Makeup Artist: Nicole Bryl, Make-Up New York, Spills Her Can’t Live Without Beauty.”
– Blogger Bellina of Nibella: KENZA International Beauty: Pure Fusion Oil
“This oil has kept my skin moisturized and supple despite the windy autumn weather. It absorbs quickly into the skin and gives me a natural glow. I’ve accumulated some brown spots from my vacation in Thailand over the summer, and the oil, to my delight, is gradually lightening the spots. This oil will definitely be holding prime cabinet space throughout the rest of Autumn and Winter.”
– Blogger Megan of Seed To Serum: Argan for All!
“KENZA Pure Fusion Oil: This remarkable blend contains only two spectacular oils, argan and prickly pear. Wrinkles and dehydration are no match for these two nutrient-dense oils. This oil is perfect for purists looking for a little more oomph than argan alone can offer, but not willing to stray too far from the familiar. It is also wonderful for men because the scent is nutty, rather than sweet and flowery.”
– What our Beautiful Friends, a.k.a. our clients, say:
Alicia Archer reviews KENZA Pure Hair Treatment Oil: Read her Blog & watch her video
Amira Lamb KENZA Pure Argan oil & KENZA Pure Fusion Oil
Karen R. NY KENZA Pure Argan Oil & KENZA Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil
Elaine, S. NY KENZA Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil & KENZA Pure SPA Bar Soap
Andrea A. NY KENZA Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil
Cynthia D. NY KENZA Pure Hair Treatment Oil
Janet M. OH KENZA Pure Fusion Oil
To read more reviews on each product, go to Shop & Products
Discover us & Connect Via Social Media
Contact: KENZA International Beauty LLC – Khadija Fajry, Founder & CEO
46-28 Vernon Blvd, Suite 403, New York, NY 11101 Cell:1-646-249-7769
KENZA International Beauty
Website| Blog | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube